Budget Update

As of Saturday afternoon, recovery efforts at the Broadcasting Centre are well underway. The new payroll system is up and running throughout the building. Security guards remain on suicide watch in the southeast corners of B4 and B2, and the northeast corner of the fourth floor. Dissent detectors in these areas remain turned off until an issue with the dispute panel can be corrected.

No more media leaks have been detected. Managers in the areas impacted by the revolt are either already dry or drying out rapidly. US programming will continue to run for 72 hours, to prevent the growth of independent producers. As an added preventive measure, freelancers were sprayed with an anti-fungal yesterday. A social media consultant will test twitter and the blogosphere early next week to advise what, if any, further measures are required. Any necessary corrective measures will be taken before staff can return to these areas.

Temporary workers on the second floor have been organized for the various teams affected by the revolt (Visual Resources Library, Marketplace, fifth estate, The Current, Sunday Edition, and GroupWise). These will be fully equipped and ready for business as usual on Monday morning. (The managers in these areas will be providing security with full details regarding the staff involved in the revolt via email this weekend.)

The cleanup of affected departments will continue over the weekend, to ensure that employees impacted can be removed by Monday morning. Acoustic barriers will be put in place around areas where soon to be former employees are crying, to avoid disturbing any staff working nearby.

A thorough damage assessment will be carried out next week.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone for your patience and understanding.

1. Aigle
    Posted March 11, 2009 at 5:14 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Ok, A few days later and on a re-read, I actually Do see it as pretty witty. I apologize for snapping, It wasn’t a “winge” at all.

(Working on a floor that has that “New Basement Smell” must be getting to me)

But my work area has a “bodyguard” now…weird and kinda creepy…I feel so…so… Ottawa/TBC 7th Floor! ;)

If anybody walks in, don’t freak out. He’s cool, just very, vey big.

2. Johnny Happypants
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 6:26 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Thanks Anonymous. Best post since the original Ouimet packed it in. Makes me want to comment again. More!

3. Aigle
    Posted March 10, 2009 at 5:30 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Naaaah, your last April Fools day blog took the cake, Dear Ouimet ;)

4. Ouimet
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 8:47 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I have to agree with 6:53pm. Although maybe not the funniest, this is pretty good.

I tip my martini to you, Anonymous.

Posted March 9, 2009 at 6:48 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Nooo, not the archive tapes of Friendly Giant!!

Posted March 9, 2009 at 4:53 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

This is by far the funniest Teamakers post since the lockout…but only because, fortunately, no one was electrocuted and the damage seems fixable (so far: apparently a lot of TV archive tape might be a bit damp).

Posted March 9, 2009 at 4:49 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

The executives of the CBC are in the throes of making some big decisions about how to deal with the Corporation’s budget crisis. I have a suggestion to lead all mainstream print, TV and radio companies out of the wilderness of declining ad revenue. Get off the internet. Everyone. The CBC, The Globe and Mail, The New York Times. Everyone who can’t make a buck handing out their content on the metaphorical street corner that is the web. I simply don’t see a successful end-game if the media keep this up. The future I see is media companies cutting and cutting the content generators (reporters)until their product is so shabby that everybody just gives up. Think the fall of the Roman Empire and the dark ages that ensued. Perhaps it will be left to a small oligarchy of outlets to generate fact-checked stories. The brass at the CBC say time and again the Corporation is a content company. I don’t think that’s quite right. They provide content yes. But they’re a radio and television service first. Those are the things that should be saved. If I was the boss, I’d eliminate all internet offerings and see what the response would be. If there is a national uproar, the government will respond as politicians are wont to do. If people simply migrate somewhere else, so be it. Save radio and television. It’s the Broadcasting Act after all. The internet will not be the future if no one will pay for it.

8. Aigle
    Posted March 9, 2009 at 10:21 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

To those who don’t get it. There was a flood in the Bldg. Thursday night affecting large parts of News and Current Affairs.

Many people have been working 20+ hour days to ensure people are able to work and not electrocute themselves.

I am one of the few non-sleep-deprived people in my group.

Morale actually seems pretty good. As is usual for cbc-ers in a crisis, (911/wars/blackouts) most people are sucking it up and pulling together.

Me thinks the writer is not one of the relocated. None of them (well, most) don’t have the time to winge.

Gotta run, my 15 minutes of “fresh air” break is over.