CBC-TV announces returning shows for 2008/2009

Posted March 9, 2008 at 3:34 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Sophie?

Sophie Kinsella (best seller)
    even in Canada tops fiction list
    this week.
    “Sophie’s Choice” (book, film)
    Sophie, countess of Wessex (Edward’s wife)
    Anne-Sophie Mutter (fiddler)
    Sophie Prize (development nobel)

Joe has prename/forename envy??

Posted March 9, 2008 at 3:25 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Joe Clark said : “The actress looks like a Quebecker, with her dark curly hair. Blonde hair is not pure laine.”

Oh? See Vero (Veronique Cloutier) on the Les Voleur game show, who had 5 programmes at once on SRC.

See the Lionesses talk show.

See Virginie, the highschool soap opera.

And see the original Sophie
    Suzanne Clément profiled by La Petroski http://tinyurl.com/2k3uwx

(I think that this renewal is about a designated target market (and the need to sell “overseas” to the U.S., who need a minimum number of episodes for ‘syndication’)

Posted March 9, 2008 at 3:10 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I’m certain you wouldn’t be talking like that, Joe, if you were banging Lynn Russell.
    Been thinking of writing Kirsten myself. To ask if she’d be interested in an “interview” over a candle-lit dinner. May I mention that I know you, Joe?

Loved your observations about Sophie.

4. joeclark
    Posted March 9, 2008 at 2:14 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

And here is my second comment:

I seethe with rage over the cancellation of the show I fucking lived for. You know very well what show that was. I wrote Layfield a hardcopy letter telling her she had no business keeping that piece of shit Border on the air just because they like its producer better. Now look what happened.

I am hardly the kind of person who forgets a slap in the face. Ill get them for this.

5. joeclark
    Posted March 9, 2008 at 2:12 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

OK, why is Sophie instantly repulsive?

It looks like a CBC show borrowed from Quebec. CBC keeps trying this and it never works. Why does it look like such a show? Because few anglophone women are named Sophie, but lots of francophones are.

For a male viewer, there is an added dose of repugnance because Sophie is presented, even in still pictures in transit advertising, as this plucky, go-get-er kinda gal whos just trying to face the world with a smile. Now imagine how an actual mid-level professional woman must feel when faced with the same advertising. Its propaganda. Its another way to feel inferior: I dont look as good as her, I certainly dont look good enough to have my picture in an ad, and I dont lead her nice tidy life. (This viewer will not bother to tune in to discover that Sophie is actually barefoot and pregnant. But still facing the world with a smile! Ohh, Mr. Graaant!!)

While Im being honest, I will add that I wouldnt want to hang around with any kind of girl (female or gay-male) who loves the show. Not my kind of people.

Posted March 9, 2008 at 8:09 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

“… will also return next season, as will the low-rated entry Triple Sensation, which is produced by a friend of the network, or is back as a result of a bet, or something.” says Bill Brioux.

Posted March 9, 2008 at 7:30 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Can someone explain why “Triple Sensation” is returning. Wasn’t it a critical and ratings disaster?

Posted March 8, 2008 at 7:47 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

It’s times like this I miss Gill Deacon.