A Joe Clark roundup

Notes from the arcane world of Joe Clark, in case you missed them:

Why does the CBC use British spellings in TV captions? Because the BBC does it that way, presumably.

Why does the CBC mix up single and double quotes in TV captions? Can someone please check to see if the BBC does it that way?

In which these errors are reviewed, culminating in “a double misuse of single quotation marks and a misspelling all in a single caption.”

Golden Nugget
What happens when a CBCer blogs about work and thinks no one is reading, but really Joe Clark is reading? And he’s a captioner?
Silly Nugget.

Probably not what you’re expecting. See also: .

Partly a response to the article “To Hell With Joe Clark,” which was a response to Joe’s seminal “To Hell with WCAG 2,” which introduced the WCAG Samurai. None of which I understand, but it’s inspired me to compose a post around the title: “To Hell with John Doyle.”

Joe’s flickr group of CBC captioning weirdness
Where I found this gem:

That squirrelly business in the corner is for the hearing impaired.

Arcane, indeed.

1. Ouimet
    Posted September 8, 2006 at 7:00 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

In my opinion you had just the right number of them.

2. JackP
    Posted September 7, 2006 at 11:51 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Ah, ok. I understand now I’m obviously just easily confused. I’d thought you’d just mis-counted my hells, as it were

3. Ouimet
    Posted September 7, 2006 at 7:01 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Precisely. So I linked to your rebuttal, Jack.

Hope you don’t mind.

4. Joe Clark
    Posted September 7, 2006 at 6:28 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Now, Jack, let’s not give aid and comfort to the enemy, as by linking. Perhaps an Amish-style shunning is more in order.

5. JackP
    Posted September 7, 2006 at 3:57 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Umm it wasn’t me who said “to Hell with Joe Clark”. I said “To Hell With People Saying To Hell With Joe Clark”. I was actually responding to the same thing he was:

6. Joe Clark
    Posted September 6, 2006 at 7:06 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Wellllll, to be fair, the diving shot is a case of shitty HDTV caption fonts, something I’m trying to work on.