Vampire freaks

Canada Now out of Calgary had a report on goths tonight. Despite my better judgment I kept the TV on. I was rewarded with the “information” that the term goth was first coined by Ian Astbury of the Cult.

Christ.

I watched the poor kid who runs the vampirefreaks.com site calmly explain to an incredulous CBC why he’s not responsible for anyone shooting anyone. I don’t think they bought it.

They closed the piece by informing viewers that the site has 500,000 members. For viewers at home that’s 500,000 goth time bombs (not including the punks, Rivetheads, and metalheads, and possibly the Mansonites and cybergoths).

No wonder the vampire freaks are nervous about their public broadcaster. They’ve been burned before, as creepy_kittie wrote last April about her CBC interview:

My words got twisted.. apparently I said that the “goth culture, for some, can be about devil worship and witchcraft.”

Ok, now what was really said…

Reporter lady: “I noticed your pentacle, what does it mean?”

Me: “since I was young my mom brought me up on pagan beliefs such as wicca, which is basically nature worship in a religious form.”

Reporter: “Some people believe that goths are satanists, what do you say about that?”

Me: “I guess some people just watch to much tv. Goths can be christian, jewish, pagan, athiest, buddhist.. anything really.”

i feel so humiliated and exploited. I emailed Greg from CBC and told him how I felt.. i hope he’ll right his wrong.

They didn’t.

The National tonight was slightly kinder to our dark friends, assuring us that studies show that goths mean us no harm. They are usually only interested in mutilating and killing themselves.

But the best unused interview quote of the day came from the designers at Plastik Wrap:

It was funny listening to Ryan explain to the women on the phone, that alternative genre has more to it than just the color black and the word Goth, and most of the people we know, who like alternative culture are actually happy, intelligent people and have no suicidal or homicidal tendencies…

1. evan Mcgregor
    Posted October 16, 2016 at 4:36 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Jethro D Berelson
    A MAN ??????
    ROFLMAO
    I was on the website when kimveer did his shootings.
    Jet took great joy in the attention his website got from the shooting.
    Very few people on his website said it wasn’t a good thing.
    many people glorified it.
    You can get banned from the site, for saying anything about their negative behavior.
    But NOT for threatening to stalk and murder people.
    Jet had a joke post, of a $25,000 reward, for anyone that gives Vampirefreaks credit for a high profile crime.
    And he has absolutely no fear of the authorities. They are a joke to him.
    I suspect his parents were rich, and never-ever taught him anything.

His website is a safe haven for pedophiles.
    yet its full of half naked 13 year old’s, that freak out if anyone over 30 says hello.
    You could join his site tomorrow, stalk people, and then accuse them of stalking you. And Jethro D Berelson, webmaster, might help you do it.
    Unless they read this first, that is. Then they’d play it cool for a little while.

Saying vampirefreaks has any resemblance to a decent website.
    Is like saying a serial killer, isn’t a serial killer, unless they kill everyone they meet.
    There were many good people on vampirefreaks, when i was there.
    But that website is controlled by jet, not them.
    He’s as far from a good person, as one can get.
    And one of the biggest hypocrites I’ve ever seen

Don’t take my word for it.
    Join the website, say you don’t like something they like, and see what happens.
    Vampirefreaks should be renamed to troll heaven.

Jethro D Berelson, a man?????
    That’s a good one.

Posted August 22, 2008 at 8:07 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I think many people should do their research before they start assuming.
    Even if the boy was a satanist, satanism does not believe in doing harm to others(unless they want you to). No religion does.
    The satanic bible states this many times.

I’m a fifteen year old, Australian, what do you picture?
    I’m also a member on VF, does that change the image in your head?

Are we all not from the same species? This has an uncanny resemblence to racism,
    You see a “black person” walking down the street, many think its suspicious as opposed to a “white person”
    You see a goth walking down the street, many become suspicious.
    We have all realised how racism is wrong, why can we not realise that so is “labelism”

Posted June 5, 2008 at 11:01 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Jethro Berelson is not a “poor kid”. Jethro Berelson is a dishonest, manipulative MAN who will gladly resort to libelous character assassination whenever all other channels of attack prove fruitless.

And that’s only the beginning.

I’ve seen him accuse his competition of “ripping of HIS ideas”, and then proceed to take their best ideas and add them to his own site while happily making believe that they were his very own ideas all along.

I’ve seen him submit a post on his site’s main page asking for all members of VF to hunt down and “teach a lesson” to some obnoxious kid that was giving Mr. Berelson some well-deserved grief.

Honestly now, what kind of jerk asks over a million people (a great many of them impressionable teenagers) to hunt down others and take the law into their own hands by teaching their quarry “a lesson”?
    What if some of those VF kids had done that, found that guy and maybe killed him? What then?

Jethro Berelson is an irresponsible, unethical MAN, not some “poor kid”.

4. Jessy!COMA
    Posted January 19, 2008 at 1:35 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Ok. So In Have A VF Account. Im Not Affected. Nor Am I In Any Way In A Suicidal Tendancy.
    Im 14, Surely If I Did I Would’ve Fxcked Of Already.
    Goth Is Just Another Label.
    Like Emo,Chav,Punk,Hippy.

We Just Dress Differantly And Listein To Differant Music.

Does This Mean Were Suicidal Or Weird??

I Dont Think So.
    Were As Normal And As Happy As Anybody Can Be!.

Posted December 21, 2007 at 12:14 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

As a member of VampireFreaks for over four years now, an above average income earner with a double degree and an intact marriage with two children you cannot seriously think you can stereotype the site into “average income” kids.
    Your forgetting that the site has well over a million members who have daily access to the internet.
    Have you ever explored the prices paid for the popular clothing of the sub culture. Defintly not cheap. VF has a store. I urge you to look at it.

The majority of the users over 18 are attending college and university. Many of the groups on VF discuss religion, philosophy, psychology and politics. These kids have brains. Most of these people cannot “dumb” themselves down to the level of most their hip-hop loving peers. Most would rather be at home learning html or java skills and reading than being out grinding some nasty horny guys on a dance floor, in gear called “baby phat” listening to Eminem talk about stuffing his wife in a trunk.
    Seriously, the wrong sub culture is being picked on.
    Please do a feature on this new litle hip hop culture that thinks its ok to produce crap about drugs, murder and sexual relations.
    THIS is what is wrong.
    I remember 10 years ago you couldnt say “bitch” on TV, no nudity at all..and now here we are listening to tv shows where the characters have verbal diahrrea and watching girls gone wild.
    Society no longer gives a shit about raising children with respect and teaching them any values. Kids are being fed graphic video games.
    This is about society as a whole, not about goths or any subculture.
    There is a rotten apple in every bunch, its that way everywhere.

Posted November 19, 2007 at 7:21 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Lauren, that is so 2006. I’ve moved on.
    No one here is claiming that the goths are a murderous cult.
    Just overly theatrical, with a taste for the morbid.
    George The Zombie Strombo makes frequent references to his mother and The Bible and going to heaven. Could he have been rebelling against his mother’s dogma by putting holes in his body, the temple of The Holy Spirit?
    Kind of like an anti-religion religion.
    When I see the piercing and the pale pallor, I have to ask “when did you first begin to think that people wouldn’t notice you otherwise? And who planted that idea in your head?”
    No doubt there are many goths who would help me change a flat tire.

7. Lauren
    Posted November 18, 2007 at 8:25 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Allan, just because goth culture isn’t intriguing to you, doesn’t mean it isn’t intriguing to others. So shut up.

anyway, the goth culture has nothing, I repeat NOTHING to do with killing or Satan or witchcraft. Why would you blame Jet for someone else’s apparent mental health issues? Go get a life!

Go do some research people, Goths are soooo misrepresented.

8. Julien
    Posted November 13, 2007 at 9:01 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I’m a member on VF….people really need to look into what goth culture is really about.
    Goth is based back in history when the time of romanticism was around. Black, lace, silk, satin, beautiful architecture, emotional music, expressive art and wonderous imagination…nothing to do with killing needlessly.

9. Amber
    Posted November 7, 2007 at 1:32 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece
  10. Minion
    Posted November 6, 2007 at 8:35 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Haha, the creator of that website, Jet, he’s not a kid. He’s 28.

Posted November 1, 2007 at 11:59 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Just as an update the nuber is plenty over a million members now.
    Goths I feel are people with good fashion sence but need a name to comform under.

Posted October 30, 2007 at 7:47 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

how can you think that a website like vampirefreaks could make somebody go on a mass shooting rampage? I’ve been a member for 3 yearts now and can honestly say Ive never had that urge… EVER.

13. Tiffany
    Posted October 20, 2007 at 9:13 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

http://www.vampirefreaks.com is a popularity contest. I read in someone’s response on here say that he was “normal” before he made an account on VF. I dare you to define normal. I dare ANYONE to define it. Would you put your life on what you’re saying? If you said yes I’m sure it’s because no one can prove you wrong. No one can prove you wrong because no one knows. I also advise you people to read up on other religions. You may learn a thing or two.

Posted September 4, 2007 at 4:57 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

You’re saying the same thing ten times now.
    Goth culture is intriguing, for about 5 minutes, but no more significant than the Hare Krishnas, and they’ve about run their course.

I already know that I’m stupid, so no need to find a new way to say it.
    People lost interest in this many, many moons ago.

15. Kat
    Posted September 3, 2007 at 5:15 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

okay this is all just incredibly STUPID!!! i mean really can’t we all just stop. its really pissing me off. i’m what you would call Goth but that doesn’t mean im phycotic(sp) or worship Statan. i’m a christian! yes i go to church. i go to church in big baggy pants with chains. okay all you people who think ‘goth’ is satanic need to get over your selves. i’m 13 and i probaly know more on this subject then most of you grown adults. and Allan who ever you are i dont much like you because your sterotyipical(sp) and your little comment about pointy things at a topless bar is sick.

anyways just because ONE ‘goth’ felt the need to kill someone doe NOT mean ‘goths’ are the only ones that might fell that way. what about the ‘preps’? or the ‘gangsters’? seriously think logically.its only a STYLE!!! its not a death wish or a cry for help. its not a way to say “i’m gonna kill you!” or a way to scare people. its a STYLE!!! and any one who dissagrees is a moron.and maybe the reason this kid got angry was because of lables and sterotypes(i dont know the whole story) so all lables should stop because let me tell you it doesnt fell very good. ive experienced it to its highest extent(sp) lables are for soup cans NOT PEOPLE!!! so there.

Posted August 25, 2007 at 10:22 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

What does it matter to you if someone looks different as long as they are not harming you? As others have already posted, you get more crazies on Myspace than you do on VF. Yet VF members are looked upon as devil worshippers and children gone astray just because of the way they dress and what music they listen to. Reminds me of what has happened with every generation. When Elvis first came out, when the hippies and flower children arrived, mods in the seventies, all were considered ‘evil’ and ‘wrong’ by the older generations. Get over yourselves, not everyone is the same as you.

Frankly, most of the 16 to 18 year olds I know in general have minimum wage jobs, “Goth” or not. As for the older age group, I’m 26 and I know I make twice the minimum wage, as does my husband (actually more) and I will be going to school for my LPN next year, once I get that I will be making 3 times the minimum wage just to start off. I own my own home and I’ve paid my dues just like everyone else, with hard work. And most others out there have as well.

Frankly, my heart goes out to them, and I wonder ‘what drug did this to these innocent children?’

Frankly, I wonder why you are so closed minded and ignorant.

Posted August 25, 2007 at 8:24 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I am just commenting so that the comment box will go away

18. coco brown
    Posted August 21, 2007 at 11:35 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

being “goth” is a way of showing your self and your veiws to the world. we have become the hippies of this genortion, you are not liked by meny people, we are blamed for deaths, murders, and durg problems. we must face the truth that there are “goths” and other types of people out there that are gilty of these thing, but mostly we are just people who think and live in a diffrent way then the mojorty of the country feels comfortable with. this sacres people and then they blame us for the problems that are in our cuntry.

Posted August 16, 2007 at 10:58 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

You people obviously know nothing about “goths”. There are more sub-cultures on this site than goths, but you wouldn’t know that cause you’re all too immature to find out. No one on that site is obsessed about killing people or suicide. It’s a site to make friends on and it’s almost like myspace. Hell, myspace is ten times worse than vampirefreaks. Do you know how many reports there have been on myspace? I’d doubt it cause you’re all too focused on vampirefreaks. Don’t be so childish and don’t take it out on the kids that are on that site. Maybe you should be more worried about the people on your street that could be psychos.

Posted August 12, 2007 at 7:14 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

So by having an account on VF makes me a ticking gothic timebomb ehh? What about creepy old men on myspace, child molesters? What about black people that hang in allyways, Jumpers? Get a life and start to actually get some facts before you go ranting on about people who you don’t even know. Half of VF isn’t even “Gothic” which has nothing to do with the god damn devil. The people who were involved in the shooting in canada also had myspace acounts, and yahoo acounts. So are you also saying that the millions with yahoo.com email address are also crazy killers? GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU ATTACK SOMEONE YOU WEEK SACK OF SHIT. the true scum of society is you, not a group of kids who like music and where diffrent clothing then you. =]

Posted August 4, 2007 at 4:24 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I accept that I may be wrong about some of this.
    But at least we’re talking, instead of ignoring each other.
    Loved your comment.
    Sweet.

22. nakoma
    Posted August 4, 2007 at 1:25 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

allan you really are closed minded idiot. do actually believe anyone sub-culture is predomonaiantly white? you surely jest. im a native american and im into what some would call “goth style” and i know alot more peoples of minority that go with this subculture then you would think. oh and i forgot to mention im 16. goth style is about freaking you out this is true and yes it is a fuck you but its also much more. the style is also to represent the inner most feeling you can relate too, this being a darker feeling. not everyone enjoys being an air headed bimbo consumer whore. its about standing out and doing it to something you can live to something that suites you. and your comment about goths above 35 well give it some time. there are not alot but remember this subculture only really came about in full swing in the mid to late 80’s. so of course you dont see alot of 35+ goths because most of them that where there from the start are just reaching that age. so get over your self and your sterotypical opinion.

23. Blaise
    Posted July 27, 2007 at 1:30 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Being a goth isn’t just about the clothes.
    Why should people over 35 change the way they dress?
    They like the clothes, they choose to dress that way so leave them alone!
    People don’t have a problem with older men and women getting botox.
    Is it about time they just grew up too?
    It’s hypocritical.

The goth industry is so massive you wouldn’t believe it, of course they’re will be murderers and rapists and all sorts of scum. Just that they happen to dress in black doesn’t mean that Marilyn Manson fucking manipulated them into doing it.
    Goths are mostly amazingly nice people, who are intelligant because they actually pay attention to the world around them, they aren’t ignorant, they are aware.
    Not saying that normal people aren’t aware.
    Just the majority of the youth today don’t know anything about the world they live in.

Posted July 26, 2007 at 9:54 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Clarfication:
    A guy in a miniskirt is acceptable
    as long as it’s a TARTan.

Posted July 26, 2007 at 9:43 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

There’s a Goth grandfather?
    Surely only in an institution.
    When I see that purple lipstick i just think kiss me, Terry David Mulligan

anyone?
    a guy in a miniskirt is reTARTed
    a girl in a miniskirt is fanTARstic

no, it isn’t
    my comment was about the emotional impact of the costumes and hairstyles
    not on the morality of it
    but since you bring it up
    isn’t it kind of meant to be a joke and a big fuck you to what people think evil looks like?
    i certainly wouldn’t give a baby a teddybear dressed with anything pointy/spikey
    I mean
    they (MadMaxers) are purposely trying to freak me out with that apparel attitude – today I passed a sign in freaky Yorkville that said 3 TANS $10
    like so where do you goths go to get 3 NON-TANS, white girl?

I did like the girl goths that were topless at Pride Week
    those kind of pointy things are ok

26. Kevin
    Posted July 26, 2007 at 7:46 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Actually Allan, I know more than a few goths over the age of 35.

And as for your last point, isn’t that a bit like saying that anyone in a miniskirt is a tart?

Posted July 25, 2007 at 5:41 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Tell us anon, what’s the oldest Goth you’ve ever seen?
    35?
    Since there are no geriatric Goths (but plenty of Hippies and pony-tailed bikers) we must conclude that at some point they get tired of not having their spiked hair fit on to a streetcar and begin to accept that they’ve grown up.
    Goths are not unlike the Hare Krishnas, in that they are repulsed by the shallowness of mainstream society, and deciding what to wear tomorrow is a no-brainer. But it’s ultimately sad to realize the loneliness they must endure isolating themselves so much, and it’s all too obvious that it was most likely poverty that forced them to join this very white and very Mad Max minority.
    At 14 you already display a social conscience and sympathy for others. That’s touching.
    But when you say don’t judge people by their appearance, I’ve got a question for you:
    Isn’t that exactly what they’re asking us to do by dressing in such a dramatic and bombastic manner?

Posted July 25, 2007 at 8:31 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I actually don’t think that VF is a threat to anything. The ‘Jet’ guy that created it made it so people could find friends. I actually have an account on VF and it is not harming me in any way. I think that by linking ‘goths’ to drugs is sterotyping other people. You wouldn’t like it if other people judged you by the way that you look. I personally am not ‘goth’ but I do dress sort of weird and I am 14. BUT I don’t do drugs. I never have and never will. You people are trying to figure out how to help these people when you should just leave them alone. Oh and one more thing, please do not associate a persons appearance with any of this. People do not kill other people because of the music that they listen to or because of the color black or because of their religion. They kill people because they choose to. It’s okay to accuse a guy for killing someone but don’t drag his personal appearance into the matter.
    thanks.

Posted June 23, 2007 at 1:35 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Is a whole lotta small thinking in a very big world!

Posted June 18, 2007 at 2:00 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Obviously you people know nothing. Have you ever talked to anyone on that site? You really need to learn about the culture. You all act so immature. It’s always the Goth kids on the news. What about the preps? What about the gangsters? Huh? You’d think you would all be more worried about the gangsters considering the fact that they are the ones killing people now.

Posted May 16, 2007 at 4:57 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

strong ties to the media*

Posted May 16, 2007 at 5:28 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

PS (addition to my last comment) goths are the enemy of the government because they mostly come from middle-class upbringings and live the kinda lifes that can have an impact on American society, and yet they don’t go with the system. The government, of course, has strong ties to the government.

Posted May 15, 2007 at 9:53 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

People should look into the American ghetto and see how disproportioned the news and other outlets are dedicated to victims they select. In the ghetto, no offence against certain victims, but quite frankly, what I am about to say affects many more people: In the American ghetto, 9/11 happens every two weeks, Virginia Tech happens every 6 hours, and one person getting shot, happens every 12 minutes. Why should I be critisized of being “unpatriotic” or “dishonoring the victims of 9/11”, considering it is everyone ELSE dishonoring the many MORE victims who are STILL dying every day? It is called statistics, and the biggest terrorists are the Crips, Bloods, Folks, and drug dealers, besides the government who lets them militaristicly overthrow entire neighborhoods, resulting in around 60,000 Americans dying each year. Thus, it is sad that there is not more conversation on that, as a white man living in the ghetto, who saved up for months so I could afford this computer to spread my message, I say to all of you: These gangstas assimilate, meaning “If you aint’ gangsta, you get jumped”. Fortunately, I live in one of the safest ghettos there is, but even I feel pressure against me simply because I am a white boy who ACTS white, even though half of my neighborhood is white. I’m not a racist, I have many black friends, but this is the pure truth, live here and you will agree, unless you get sucked in by the ignorance that many lower class seem to have.

34. melissa
    Posted April 11, 2007 at 3:21 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

you people are idiots you have no idea whatsoever what goths are and you have a wrong impression of them why dont you try and join vampirefreaks and get your own fucking opinion on it and btw i happen to be a member assholes

Posted January 22, 2007 at 1:13 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Goths are just regular people in black. Why don’t you go pick on the hip-hop community? They cause a lot more crime, I assure you.

Posted December 24, 2006 at 11:20 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

apparently, kimveer gill was 100% normal before he subscribed to vf. the evil gawthick waves from the site got into his head and made him a killer.

simple solution: unplug the internet and raise children in monasteries.

Posted December 10, 2006 at 11:38 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I’m going to ‘lol’, when someone reads all of the news stories on CNN.com about everything terrible things going on in this world, gets a gun and shoot’s a bunch of people. “He was reading CNN, Oh Noez! Ban TV, Censor the internet! Take away freedom of speech” The damn media makes too much hype of everything nowdays. There is 1 crazy person per every XXX ‘normal’ people. So places you have a larger amount of people will result in having more crazy people. Welcome to the world.

Posted December 8, 2006 at 1:14 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Jet has nothing to do with the shooting, anyone who thinks differently is clearly closed minded and just stubborn on trying to point fingers at someone to blame for it. Rememeber when those kids were plotting a killing on myspace? They said it was myspace’s fault. This is basicly the same shyt. Stop blaming others for these stupid kids wrong doings.

And to that comment about goths only taking low wage jobs I can prove this false, so don’t assume that EVERYONE is just because one person who is goth has a low pay job. I’m a vampire freaks member myself and I have a verry good paying job at a medical office, I also work in a gallery and sell my artwork. So stop assuming in groups.

Posted December 1, 2006 at 4:18 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

frankly i think its apauling that anyone would blame jet (the vampire freaks owner) for the shooting. hes just trying to make a living with the sight like anybody else. Just because the shooter was a member of the sight does not meen that all alternatives are homicidal maniacs i know for one im not non of my friends are and iv never encounted anyone on the sight that carries those tendancies, it seams to me that people are just waiting for a chance to slate the culture for no apparent reason and it sicons me that it is associated with suicide self halming and satonism, there are on more in that catogary than in any other sub culture. Call my biust but i think its about time people lay off the subculture and focus on the real criminals. I appologise for my spelling thank you.

Posted November 18, 2006 at 3:23 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Oh good lord are you actually that afraid of teenagers in make up. because someone is not Christian naturally they are pegged as a Satanist thats just sad, you have nothing to fear of Goths everyone is different in body and mind I seen above there that someone mentioned Goths only take minimum wage jobs thats stereotyping because you know one person it does not count everyone else there are millions of alterative children and teens and because one kills someone the whole culture is automatically guilty. 90% of wars are over God or Jesus I live in Northern Ireland and Catholics and protestants have been killing each other for years now to the point some nights its not safe to walk to the shop if your alterative how it beating someone you’ve never met because they are Goth the work of god your scapegoating kids because of your own childish fears that just pathetic really

Posted October 2, 2006 at 4:17 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

^^and canadian brothers that want to kill their own brother, and daughts that want to kill their parents….

42. ruby
    Posted September 23, 2006 at 12:13 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

VF is mainly for cybergoths hactually….

43. Swiv
    Posted September 19, 2006 at 12:34 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

By the way, anyone thought to check Georgie S’s dressing room for munitions? I know I’d be pretty pissed at this point, after “The One” and all . . .

44. pj
    Posted September 15, 2006 at 2:24 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I don’t think we can blame the goths, the media, society or even the Canadian mental health care for what happened to this boy to make him crazy enough to kill.
    Usually the roots begin much earlier in a person that’s a sociopath. (which I believe this person was). I look to the parents and the family. But also I think some folks are just plain born bad. Good like to the CBC on trying to find answers to something unexplainable.

45. Dwight Williams
    Posted September 15, 2006 at 1:42 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

No, Justin, that would simply make an unforgivably great deal of common sense. And as we know, there’s been a Revolution against it disguised as a defense in progress for quite some time now.

46. Justin Beach
    Posted September 15, 2006 at 11:13 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

“Goths” have been around since at least the 1970s – Asbury may have coined the term, but Bauhaus started in 1977 so – before that even. I think the overreaction is partially due to our new tendency to overreact to everything, and partially due to the fear of the web sill ingrained in many (especially the boomers). You don’t hear anyone calling for finding out what TV shows he watched and pulling them off the air, or finding out what radio station he listened to most and shutting it down – it’s because it’s a web site and it isn’t any more respnsible for anything that happened than the TV shows or the radio station. Even asking the question is a bit silly unless the front page of the website decladed it ‘shooting rampage’ day or something.

Perhaps, instead of blaming media we should examine the lack of funding for mental health care under Canada’s health care system … nah, that would be silly.

Posted September 15, 2006 at 8:57 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Ouch ! the vampyre killer…

Posted September 15, 2006 at 6:54 am | # | Reply to this masterpiece

Bang on, Ouimet. It’s sad when supposedly “serious” news programs adopt Geraldo methods. “Today! THE GOTH THREAT – REVEALED!”

The blood wasnt dry yet when the customary search for answers began, and of course everybody likes to take tragedies like these and hitch them to their particular argument about the way things ought to be. So, some people say there should be more gun control and other says less (so that the students could have fired back), some will blame Goths and some will blame video games, and some will say that this is symptomatic of the decline of traditional values and thats why our streets arent safe anymore, and never mind the fact that youre half as likely to get murdered today as thirty years ago. Theres a time to think and there’s a time to pontificate, and this is no time to think!

Can’t wait to see what Michael Coren has to say. Nuke Goths, probably.

Posted September 14, 2006 at 8:27 pm | # | Reply to this masterpiece

I take it someone at the CBC is already preparing an in-depth study of Goth culture – and it’s about time.
    The Goths, and those boys and girls who sport the bald heads with tall pointy gelled hair are the weirdest abberations of youth culture. And we need to know why and how. They marginalize themselves, choosing minimum wage jobs in return for membership in a tiny peer group. Frankly, my heart goes out to them, and I wonder “what drug did this to these innocent children?”
    TV coverage of the Dawson tragedy was so irritating – eyewitnesses giving very skimpy reports and endless, endless replays of people running down the street for no apparent reason. Coming after 9/11 rememberances, it was too much in one week.
    Whether CTV, Global or CBC, the coverage was not especially noteworthy.